Help us "Fill the Flop!" Click here to learn more.

1903

The Rescue Mission is born with the help of area Christians. It provides housing, food and religious services for local and transient homeless men.

1908

Becomes incorporated.

1922

Joins 11 other agencies in forming the Community Chest (now United Way of Allen County).

1964

Expands housing and feeding ministries with a move to 301 W. Superior St.

1985

Opens a 16-bed women and children's ministry at 710 W. Superior St.

1992

Opens a thrift store on Lafayette Street, providing residents with clothing and furnishings, and the city's poor with low-cost goods.

1993

Opens a state-of-the-art Learning Center, providing men and women with educational opportunities, memory restoration, literacy and computer skills, and GED preparation.

1996

Purchases a building at 533 W. Washington Blvd. to accommodate up to 42 women and children for emergency housing and restorative programming. The Mission names it Charis House, meaning “House of Grace” in Greek.

2001

Doubles the men’s emergency program capacity to 42 beds and 10 cots.

2010

Builds a new 78-bed Charis House for women and children.

2017

Begins demolition for the future home of The Rescue Mission at the corner of Lafayette Street and Washington Blvd.

2019

After more than 100 years of service, The Rescue Mission is still fulfilling its mission to provide, through the power of Jesus Christ, a home for the homeless, food for the hungry, and hope for their future.