History

1903
The Rescue Mission is born with the help of area Christians. It provides housing, food and religious services for local and transient homeless men.
1908
Becomes incorporated.
1922
Joins 11 other agencies in forming the Community Chest (now United Way of Allen County).
1964
Expands housing and feeding ministries with a move to 301 W. Superior St.
1985
Opens a 16-bed women and children’s ministry at 710 W. Superior St.
1992
Opens a thrift store on Lafayette Street, providing residents with clothing and furnishings, and the city’s poor with low-cost goods.
1993
Opens a state-of-the-art Learning Center, providing men and women with educational opportunities, memory restoration, literacy and computer skills, and GED preparation.
1996
Purchases a building at 533 W. Washington Blvd. to accommodate up to 42 women and children for emergency housing and restorative programming. The Mission names it Charis House, meaning “House of Grace” in Greek.
2001
Doubles the men’s emergency program capacity to 42 beds and 10 cots.
2010
Builds a new, 78-bed Charis House for women and children.
2011
After more than 100 years of service, The Rescue Mission is still fulfilling its mission “to provide, through the power of Jesus Christ, a home for the homeless, food for the hungry, and hope for their future.